Visas and residency

You must register as an Italian resident (in Italian) if you want to stay in Italy for more than 3 months. You will get one of the following from the local town hall or comune:

  • an attestazione di regolarità di soggiorno
  • a certificato di residenza
  • attestazione di iscrizione anagrafica or attestazione di soggiorno permanente (if resident for 5 years or more)

Residency after Brexit

If you are resident in Italy before the end of the implementation period on 31 December 2020, you will be able to stay.

If there are changes to residency registration processes after Brexit,  this guidance will bw updated according to the available information.


If you’re staying in Italy for more than 3 months, you must register with the Italian National Health Service (Servizio Sanitario Nazionale – SSN) through your local health authority (Azienda Sanitaria Locale).

You can register for free with the SSN if:

  • you have a work contract, are self-employed in Italy or are an immediate family member of someone who is
  • you are an immediate family member of an Italian citizen
  • you have been officially resident in Italy for 5 years or more
  • you are unemployed, registered on the employment lists (liste di collocamento) or registered for a professional training course
  • you hold a UK social security form, such as an S1 form for pensioners

If you are not eligible to register for free, you can pay an annual fee to receive state healthcare. Contact your local ASL – Azienda Sanitaria Locale.

State healthcare: S1

If you live in Italy and receive an exportable UK pension, contribution-based Employment Support Allowance or another exportable benefit, you may currently be entitled to state healthcare paid for by the UK. You must apply for a certificate of entitlement known as an S1 certificate and register it with your Azienda Sanitaria Locale.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

If you are resident in Italy, you must not use your EHIC from the UK for healthcare in Italy.

When you travel from Italy for a temporary stay in another European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland, you can use an EHIC to access state-provided healthcare in that country. During that short stay:

  • the EHIC covers treatment that is medically necessary until your planned return home
  • an EHIC is not a replacement for comprehensive travel insurance

If you are registered for public healthcare as a resident in Italy, and are travelling outside of Italy, carry your Italian health card (tessera sanitaria) with you.

Special provisions for students studying abroad are available on the NHS guidance on healthcare and studying abroad.

Healthcare after Brexit

There will be no changes to your healthcare access before 31 December 2020. You can also continue to use your EHIC, as you did before, during this time.

If you are living in Italy or move there permanently before 31 December 2020, you’ll have life-long healthcare rights in Italy as you do now, provided you remain resident.

Passports and travel

You can apply for or renew your passport.

Travel after Brexit

Check your passport is valid for travel before you book your trip. Your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you do not need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.

You’ll need to renew your passport before travelling if you do not have enough time left on your passport.

The rules on travel will stay the same until the end of the implementation period on 31 December 2020. During this time you can continue to travel to countries in the Schengen area or elsewhere in the EU with your UK passport.

Driving in Italy

If you are resident in Italy, exchange your UK licence for an Italian one. You can still use your Italian licence in the UK or exchange it for a UK licence without taking a test if you return to live in the UK.

Bringing a UK-registered vehicle to Italy

If you move to Italy with your UK-registered car, you must register your car with Italian licence plates within 60 days of being officially resident in Italy. If not, your car may be impounded.

Be aware that from the moment you start the process of registering your car in Italy you will not be able to use your car, until you get your new documentation and licence plates. For more information, contact an Ufficio Motorizzazione Civile.

You can read the European Union’s guidance on car registration and taxes in Italy. You may be exempt from some of these taxes. If so, you will need certificates of exemption.

Driving after Brexit

Driving licence rules will stay the same until 31 December 2020.

Working in Italy

If you are registered as a resident in Italy, you have the right to work in Italy. Read our guidance on working in another EU Country. To apply for a job, you may need to provide a:

  • UK criminal records certificate
  • Italian criminal records certificate (Certificato del casellario giudiziale) issued by the Italian Law Court (Ufficio Casellario Giudiziale c/o Procura della Repubblica, Tribunale)

Working in Italy after Brexit

Your right to work will stay the same, as long as you remain resident in Italy.

Money and tax

The UK has a double-taxation agreement with Italy to make sure that people do not pay tax on the same income in both countries.

Contact us if you need any help:

  • telling HMRC if you leave the UK to live abroad
  • the tax on your UK income if you live abroad
  • paying income tax in Italy
  • Declare overseas assets Quadro RW on Italian Self Assessment “Unico 2020” tax form


National Insurance

You must check if you can pay National Insurance while abroad so that you protect your UK State Pension and entitlement to other benefits and allowances.

If you are employed or self-employed in the EU or EEA and you have a UK-issued A1/E101 form, you will remain subject to UK legislation until the end date on the form.

Money and tax after Brexit

Brexit will not change existing double-taxation arrangements for UK nationals living in Italy. Send your questions about double taxation to the relevant tax authority.


Check provisions on the Double Treaty about Pensions.

You will need to tell the UK government offices that deal with your benefits, pension and tax if you are moving or retiring abroad.

There will be no changes before 31 December 2020 to the rules on claiming the UK State Pension in the EU, EEA or Switzerland as a result of the UK leaving the EU.

If you retire in Italy, you can claim:

  • your UK State Pension or new UK State Pension. Contact the International Pensions Centre to claim
  • your Italian and UK State Pension from the Istituto Nazionale della Previdenza Sociale (INPS), if you have worked in Italy
  • pensions from working abroad, if you have worked in other EU countries

Life certificates for UK State Pensions

If you get a ‘life certificate’ from the UK Pension Service, you need to respond as soon as possible. Your payments may be suspended if you don’t.

Pensions after Brexit

You can continue to receive your UK State Pension if you live in the EU, EEA or Switzerland and you can still claim your UK State Pension.

If you are living in the EU, EEA or Switzerland by 31 December 2020 you will get your UK State Pension uprated every year for as long as you continue to live there. This will happen even if you start claiming your pension on or after 1 January 2021, as long as you meet the qualifying conditions.

If you are living in Italy by 31 December 2020, you will be able to count future social security contributions towards meeting the qualifying conditions for your UK State Pension.

If you work and pay social security contributions in Italy, you will still be able to add your UK social security contributions towards your Italian pension. This will happen even if you claim your pension after the end of the implementation period.


There will be no changes before 31 December 2020 to the rules on claiming UK benefits in the EU, EEA or Switzerland as a result of the UK leaving the EU.

You may still be able to claim some UK benefits like child and disability benefits if you live in Italy.

Italian benefits

You may be eligible to claim some Italian social security benefits.

Benefits after Brexit

If you are living in the EU, EEA or Switzerland by 31 December 2020, you will continue to receive any UK benefits you already receive. This will continue for as long as you live there and meet all other eligibility requirements.

If you work and pay social security contributions in Italy, your UK social security contributions will be taken into account when applying for Italian contributions-based benefits. This will happen even if you claim contributions-based benefits after the end of the implementation period.

Voting after Brexit

You will no longer be eligible to vote or stand in local and European elections after Brexit.

Births, deaths and getting married

If your child is born in Italy, you will need to register the birth abroad.

If someone dies in Italy, Italian Legislation and UK Legislation apply both.

If you get married,  Brexit will not affect the right of UK nationals (resident in Italy and elsewhere) to get married in Italy.


Buying property after Brexit

You can buy property or land in Italy if you are:

  • an EU citizen
  • a national from outside the EU who is fully resident or has a valid permit of stay in Italy
  • a national from a country that Italy has a reciprocal agreement with and who is resident outside of Italy

The UK government will be seeking a reciprocal agreement to make sure that UK nationals who are not resident in Italy can continue to purchase property in Italy after Brexit. We will update this guidance when there is more information.


Current pet travel rules will stay the same until 31 December 2020.

If you’re travelling with your pet for the first time you must visit your vet to get a pet passport.

Returning to the UK

Tell the UK and Italian authorities if you are returning to the UK permanently. To help prove you are now living in the UK, de-register with your:

  • local town hall (comune)
  • the Italian State Police (residenza)
  • your local health centre (ASL)

If you get UK State Pension or benefits payments, you must tell the International Pension Centre and the Istituto Nazionale della Previdenza Sociale (INPS). You must also contact the Agenzia delle Entrate before you return to the UK.


If you have further questions

Contact us through our web form if you have a specific question



Please note that this information is provided as a guide only. Definitive information should be obtained from the Italian authorities. Cesca Accounting will not be liable for any inaccuracies in this information.